Magnetic Confinement Fusion
|Research in the general field of magnetic confinement fusion is being conducted usnig the STOR-M tokamak in collaboration with the Plasma Physics Laboratory at the University of Saskatchewan. Pictured below is the STOR-M tokamak. The red line points to a recently installed magnetic array for measuring the positon of the plasma column within the tokamak.
The following topics are of particular interest:
|- Plasma Physics|
|- Parameter Control|
|- Plasma Edge Diagnsotics|
|- Instability Prediction and Mitigation||
Demand Side Management
|- Load Balancing|
|- Phase Balancing|
|- Voltage Conversions|
|- Intelligent Optimization|
Distributed Generation (Primarily Wind Power)
|- Electrical System Integration|
|- Optimal Turbine Siting|
- Geoff Olynyk, Jordan Morelli, “Development of a Compact Toroid Fuelling System for ITER”, Nuclear Fusion, Volume 48, August 2008.
- Tom St.Onge, Jordan Morelli, and Derrick Bouchard, “Distribution System Voltage Conversion”, IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, Chicago, Illinois, April 21-24, 2008.
- Marilyne Lafortune, Derrick Bouchard, and Jordan Morelli, “Phase Swapping for Distribution Systems Using Tabu Search,” Proceedings of the WSEAS International Conference on Energy Planning, Energy Saving and Environmental Education, October 14-16, 2007, Arcachon, France, pp. 67-71.
- A.K. Singh, J. Morelli, C. Xiao, O. Mitarai, and A. Hirose, “Investigation of Plasma Equilibrium in the Saskatchewan Torus-Modified (STOR-M) During Alternating Current Operation”, Contributions to Plasma Physics, Volume 46, Issue 10, 2006, pp. 773-780.
- A. Hirose, C. Xiao, O. Mitarai, J. Morelli, H.M. Skarsgard, “STOR-M Tokamak Design and Instrumentation”, Physics in Canada, Volume 62, Number 2, March/April 2006, pp. 111-120.
- J.E. Morelli, A. Hirose and H.C. Wood, “Fuzzy Logic Based Plasma Position Controller for STOR-M”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Volume 13, Number 2, March 2005, pp. 328-337.
- C. Apold and J. Morelli, “Design and Modelling of a Zero-Emission Power System for Coral Harbour, Nunavut” Canadian Undergraduate Physics Journal, Volume III, Issue 1, Sept. 2004, pp. 7-11.
- A.K. Singh, J. Morelli, T. Asai and A. Hirose, “Observation of Radial Propagation of Electrostatic Fluctuations in the Saskatchewan Torus-Modified Tokamak”, Physics of Plasmas (letters), Volume 10, Number 9, Sept. 2003, pp. 3451-3454.
- C. Xiao, J. Morelli, A.K. Singh, O. Mitarai, T.Asai and A. Hirose, “Study of Plasma Equilibrium During the AC Current Reversal Phase on the STOR-M,” Proceedings of the 19th Fusion Energy Conference (IAEA-CN-94), Lyon, France, paper number EX/P1-18, Oct. 14-19, 2002.
Other Conference Presentations and Invited Talks:
- Geoff Olynyk and Jordan Morelli, “Design and Evaluation of a Repetitive-Fire Compact Toroid Fuelling System for ITER”, Physics in Canada, Volume 63, Number 2 Supplement, May-June 2007, p. 92.
- Carlos Paz-Soldan and Jordan Morelli, “Digital Plasma Position Measurement System for the STOR-M Tokamak”, Physics in Canada, Volume 63, Number 2 Supplement, May-June 2007, p. 140.
- J. Morelli, “Plasma Position Control in the STOR-M Tokamak Using a Fuzzy Logic Approach”, Physics in Canada, Volume 59, Number 3, May-June 2003, pp. 92. Invited talk.
- J.E. Morelli, A.K. Singh, T. Asai, C. Xiao and A. Hirose, “Measurement of Poloidal Flows in a Tokamak Using Mach Probes”, 44th Annual Conference of the Division of Plasma Physics of the American Physical Society, Orlando, Florida, (Abstract in: Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Volume 47, Number 9, Nov., 2002, p. 338).
- T. Asai, J. Morelli, A. Singh, C. Xiao, A. Hirose, M. Nagata and T. Uyama, “Toroidal Flow Measurement in CT Injected STOR-M Tokamak”, 44th Annual Conference of the Division of Plasma Physics of the American Physical Society, Orlando, Florida, (Abstract in: Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Volume 47, Number 9, Nov., 2002, pp. 298-299).
- J. Morelli, A. Singh, C. Xiao and A. Hirose, “Mach Probe and Limiter Current Measurements in the STOR-M Tokamak”, 43rd Annual Conference of the Division of Plasma Physics of the American Physical Society, Long Beach, California, (Abstract in: Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Volume 46, Number 8, Oct., 2001, p. 67).