* C Gustin, R Manson, S Hughes, Spectral asymmetries in the resonance fluorescence of two-level systems under pulsed excitation, e-print: arXiv:1711.01502 (2017)
* Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli, Christos Tserkezis, N. Asger Mortensen, Stephen Hughes, Nonlocal quasinormal modes for three-dimensional plasmonic resonators , e-print: arXiv:1707.05750 [physics.optics], Optica, in press (2017)
* A. Vafafard, S. Hughes, G. S. Agarwal, Vacuum Induced Coherence in Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics , e-print: arXiv:1704.06238 [quant-ph] (2017)
* J.P. Vasco and S. Hughes, Anderson localizatiuon in disordered LN photonic crystal slab cavities, e-print: arXiv:1708.07891 (2017).
* J155. Herman M.K. Wong, Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli, Simon Axelrod, Stephen Hughes, Amr S Helmy, Theory of hyperbolic stratified nanostructures for surface enhanced Raman scattering, e-print: arXiv:1710.11162, Phys. Rev. B 96, 205112 (2017).
* J154. Tom Crane, Oliver Joe Trojak, Juan Pablo Vasco, Stephen Hughes, and Luca Sapienza, Anderson Localization of Visible Light on a Nanophotonic Chip, ACS Photonics 4, 2274 (2017)
* J153. W. Cartar, J Mork, and S. Hughes, Self-consistent Maxwell-Bloch modelling of the threshold behaviour of quantum dot photonic crystal cavity lasers, Phys Rev A, 96, 023859 (2017).
* J152. Chris Gustin, Stephen Hughes, Influence of electron-phonon scattering for an on-demand quantum dot single-photon source using cavity-assisted adiabatic passage, Phys Rev B 96, 085305 (2017). (e-print: arXiv:1706.07521)
* J151. Philip Trost Kristensen, Rong-Chun Ge, Stephen Hughes, Reply to “Comment on `Normalization of quasinormal modes in leaky optical cavities and plasmonic resonators` “, Phys. Rev. A 96, 017802 (2017) (e-print: arXiv:1605.08702)
* J150. Ellen Schelew, Rong-Chun Ge and Stephen Hughes, James Pond, Jeff F. Young, Self-consistent numerical modelling of radiatively damped Lorentz oscillators, Phys. Rev. A 95, 063853 (2017).
* J149. Nishan Mann and Stephen Hughes, Soliton Pulse Propagation in the Presence of Disorder-Induced Multiple Scattering in Photonic Crystal Waveguides, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 253901 (2017) (e-print: arXiv:1608.08281 )
* J148. J.P. Vasco, S. Hughes, Statistics of Anderson-localized modes in disordered photonic crystal slab waveguides, Phys. Rev. B 95, 224202 (2017) (e-print: arXiv:1701.09139)
* J147. Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli, Stephen Hughes, Quantum Optics Model of Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy for Arbitrarily Shaped Plasmonic Resonators, ACS Photonics 4, 1256 (2017) (arXiv)
*J146. Simon Axelrod, Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli, Herman M. K. Wong, Amr S. Helmy, and Stephen Hughes, Hyperbolic metamaterial nanoresonators make poor single-photon sources, Phys. Rev. B 95, 155424 (2017). (arXiv)
* J145. S. Hughes and G.S. Agarwal, Anisotropy-Induced Quantum Interference and Population Trapping Between Orthogonal Quantum Dot Exciton States in Semiconductor Cavity Systems Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 063601 (2017), or arXiv link
* J144. Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli, Reuven Gordon, and Stephen Hughes, Modal theory of modified spontaneous emission of a quantum emitter in a hybrid plasmonic photonic-crystal cavity systemPhys. Rev. A 95, 013846 (2017), or arXiv link
* 143. Hargart, Fabian; Roy Choudhury, Kaushik; John, Tilmann; Portalupi, Simone; Schneider, Christian; Hoefling, Sven; Kamp, Martin; Hughes, Stephen; Michler, Peter, Probing the transition from dressed states to the AC Stark effect in cavity-driven quantum dot-micropillar systems, New J. Phys 18, 123031 (2016).
* 142. Mohsen Kamandar Dezfouli ; Simon Axelrod ; Herman M. K. Wang ; Amr Helmy ; Reuven Gordon and Stephen Hughes ” Quasinormal mode approach to modelling light-matter interactions in plasmonic-dielectric cavity systems “, Proc. SPIE 9920, Active Photonic Materials VIII, 99200W
* Andrew B. Young ; Ben Lang ; Arthur C. T. Thijssen ; Daryl M. Beggs ; Laurens Kuipers ; John G. Rarity ; Stephen Hughes and Ruth Oulton ” Putting the spin in photonic crystal waveguides”, Proc. SPIE 9920, Active Photonic Materials VIII, 992011
* J141. Manuel Kraft, Sven Moritz Hein, Judith Lehnert, Eckehard Scholl, Stephen Hughes, Andreas Knorr, Time-delayed quantum coherent Pyragas feedback control of photon squeezing in a degenerate parametric oscillator, Phys Rev A, 94, 023806 (2016), e-print: arXiv:1603.07137
* J140. Kaushik Roy-Choudhury, Nishan Mann, Ross Manson and Stephen Hughes, Resonance fluorescence spectra from semiconductor quantum dots coupled to slow-light photonic crystal waveguides,Phys Rev B, 93, 245421 (2016), e-print: arXiv:1603.02984
* J139. T. Malhotra, R.-C. Ge, M. Kamandar Dezfouli, A. Badolato, N. Vamivakas, and S. Hughes, Quasinormal mode theory and design of on-chip single photon emitters in photonic crystal coupled-cavity waveguides, Optics Express, 24, 13574 (2016).
* J138. Gerasimos Angelatos, Stephen Hughes, Polariton waveguides from a quantum dot chain in a nanowire photonic crystal: an architecture for waveguide QED, Optica 3, 370 (2016)
* J137. Ross Manson, Kaushik Roy-Choudhury, and Stephen Hughes, Polaron master equation theory of pulse driven phonon-assisted population inversion and single photon emission from quantum dot excitons, Phys. Rev. B. Phys. Rev. B 93, 155423 (2016), e-print: arXiv:1512.07865
* J136. Fabian Hargart, Markus Muller, Kaushik Roy-Choudhury, Simone Luca Portalupi, Christian Schneider, Sven Hofling, Martin Kamp, Stephen Hughes, Peter Michler, Cavity-enhanced simultaneous dressing of quantum dot exciton and biexciton states, Phys. Rev. B 93, 115308 (2016), e-print: arXiv:1509.03861
* J135. Rong-Chun Ge and Stephen Hughes, Quasinormal mode theory and modelling of electron energy loss spectroscopy for plasmonic nanostructures, J. Opt. 18, 054002 (2016) [special issue on quantum plasmionics], e-print: arXiv:1510.01170
* J134. Rong-Chun Ge and Stephen Hughes, Quantum dynamics of two quantum dots coupled through localized plasmons: an intuitive and accurate quantum optics approach using quasinormal modes,e-print: arXiv:1505.02175 (2015), Phys. Rev. B. 92, 205420 (2015).
* J133. K. Roy-Choudhury and S. Hughes, Quantum theory of light emission from quantum dots coupled to structured photonic reservoirs and acoustic phonons, Phys. Rev. B 92, 205406 (2015). e-print: arXiv:1504.03356
* J132. P. T. Kristensen, R. Ge, and S. Hughes, Normalization of quasinormal modes in leaky optical cavities and plasmonic resonators, Phys. Rev. A 92, 053810 (2015). e-print: arXiv:1501.05938
* J131. Andrew B. Young, Arthur Thijssen, Daryl M. Beggs, Petros Androvitsaneas, L. Kuipers, John G. Rarity, Stephen Hughes, Ruth Oulton, Polarization engineering in photonic crystal waveguides for spin-photon entanglers, Physical Review Letters 115, 153901 (2015), and selected as an Editor’s Choice. See also arXiv:1406.0714
* J130. K Roy Choudhury and S. Hughes, Theory of phonon-modified spontaneous emission and photoluminescence intensity from quantum dots coupled to structured photonic reservoirs, Proc. SPIE 9546, Active Photonic Materials VII, 95461A (2015).
* J129. Nishan Mann, Alisa Javadi, P.D. Garcia, Peter Lodahl, Stephen Hughes, Theory and experiments of disorder-induced resonance shifts and mode edge broadening in deliberately disordered photonic crystal waveguides, e-print: arXiv:1505.02836 (2015), Phys. Rev. A 92, 023849 (2015).
* J128 S. Ali Hassani Gangaraj, Andrei Nemilentsau, George W. Hanson, Stephen Hughes, Transient and steady-state entanglement mediated by three-dimensional plasmonic waveguides, Optics Express 23, 22330-22346 (2015).
* J127. E. Illes, C. Roy, and S. Hughes, Spectral multiphoton effects and quantum anharmonicities in dissipative cavity-QED systems via off-resonant coherent excitation, Optica 8, 689 (2015).
* J126. Nishan Mann, M. Patterson, and S. Hughes, Role of Bloch mode reshaping and disorder correlation length on scattering losses in slow-light photonic crystal waveguides, Phys Rev B 91, 245151 (2015).
* J125. Gerasimos Angelatos and Stephen Hughes, Entanglement dynamics and Mollow nonuplets between two coupled quantum dots in a nanowire photonic-crystal system, e-print: arXiv:1411.4628 (2015), Phys Rev A Rapid Communications 91, 051803(R).
* J124. K. Roy-Choudhury and S. Hughes, Spontaneous emission from a quantum dot in a structured photonic reservoir: phonon-mediated breakdown of Fermi’s golden rule, e-print: arXiv:1406.3649,Optica 2, 434 (2015).
* J123. K. Roy-Choudhury and S. Hughes, Theory of phonon-modified quantum dot photoluminescence intensity in structured photonic reservoirs, e-print: arXiv:1411.6050 , Optics Letters 40, 1838 (2015).
* J122. S. Hughes and H.J. Carmichael, Viewpoint: Crystal Vibrations Invert Quantum Dot Exciton, Physics 8, 29 (2015).
* J121. R. Ge, Jeff Young, and S. Hughes, Quasi-normal mode approach to the local-field problem in quantum optics, e-print: arXiv:1501.05859, Optica 2, 246 (2015).
* J120. Rong-Chun Ge, Philip Trost Kristensen, Jeff. F. Young, Stephen Hughes, Quasinormal mode approach to modelling light-emission and propagation in nanoplasmonics, e-print: arXiv:1312.2939 [quant-ph], New J. Phys 16, 113048 (2014).
* J119. Gerasimos Angelatos and Stephen Hughes Theory and design of quantum light sources from quantum dots embedded in semiconductor-nanowire photonic crystal systems, e-print: arXiv:1409.2534, Phys Rev B 90, 205406 (2014).
* J118. R. Ge and S. Hughes, Quasinormal mode theory and applications of light-matter interactions in nanoplasmonics, Proc. SPIE 9162, 916202 (2014).
* J117. Ebrahim Forati, George W. Hanson, Stephen Hughes, Graphene as a tunable THz reservoir for shaping the Mollow triplet of an artificial atom via plasmonic effects, e-print arXiv:1407.7075 (2014), Phys Rev B 90, 085414 (2014).
* J116. R. Ge and S. Hughes, Design of an efficient single photon source from a metallic nanorod dimer: a quasi-normal mode finite-difference time-domain approach, Optics Letters 39, 4235 (2014).
* J115. Philip Trost Kristensen and Stephen Hughes, Modes and Mode Volumes of Leaky Optical Cavities and Plasmonic Nanoresonators, ACS Photonics 1, 2-10 (2014), Perspective paper in the very first edition of ACS Photonics and also selected for the Cover Page, see also e-print: arXiv:1312.5769
* J114. Nishan Mann, Sylvian Combrie Pierre Colman, Mark Patterson, Alfredo De Rossi, and Stephen Hughes, Reducing disorder-induced losses for slow light photonic crystal waveguides through Bloch mode engineering Optics Letters 38, 4244 (2013).
* J113. S. Hughes and H. J. Carmichael, Phonon-mediated population inversion in a semiconductor quantum-dot cavity system, N. J. of Physics 15, 053039 (2013).
* J112. Rong-Chun Ge, C. Van Vlack, P. Yao, Jeff. F. Young, S. Hughes, Accessing quantum nanoplasmonics in a hybrid quantum-dot metal nanosystem: Mollow triplet of a quantum dot near a metal nanoparticle, Physical Review B 87, 205425 (2013).
* J111. Rong-Chun Ge, Ata Ulhaq, S. Weiler, A. Ulhaq, S. M. Ulrich, M. Jetter, P. Michler, and S. Hughes, Mollow quintuplets from coherently-excited quantum dots, Optics Letters 10, 1691 (2013)
* J110. Ata Ulhaq, Stefanie Weiler, C. Roy, Sven Marcus Ulrich, Michael Jetter, S. Hughes and Peter Michler, Detuning-Dependent Mollow Triplet of a Coherently-Driven Single Quantum Dot, Optics Express 21, 4382 (2013).
* J109. S. Weiler., A. Ulhaq, S. M. Ulrich, D. Richter, M. Jetteri, P. Michler, C. Roy, and S. Hughes, Phonon-Assisted Incoherent Excitation of a Quantum Dot and its Emission Properties, Phys. Rev. B Rapid Communications 86, 241304 (2012).
* J108. C. Van Vlack and S. Hughes, Finite-difference time-domain technique as an efficient tool for obtaining the regularized Green function: applications to the local field problem in quantum optics for inhomogeneous lossy materials, Optics Letters 37, 2880 (2012).
* J107. Zeinab Mohammadi, Cole P. Van Vlack, Stephen Hughes, Jens Bornemann, and Reuven Gordon, Vortex Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy for Near-Field Mapping of Magnetic Plasmons, Optics Express 20, 15024 (2012).
* J106. C. Roy, H. Kim, E. Waks, and S. Hughes, Anomalous phonon-mediated damping of a driven quantum dot embedded in a high-Q microcavity, Photonics and Nanostructures: Fundamentals and Applications (Special Issue) (June, 2012)
*J105. Philip Kristensen, Cole Van Vlack, Stephen Hughes, Generalized mode volume for leaky optical cavities, Optics Letters 37, 1649 (2012).
*J104. Charles A. Foell, Ellen Schelew, Haijun Qiao, Keith A. Abel, Stephen Hughes, Frank C. J. M. van Veggel, and Jeff F. Young, Saturation Behaviour of Colloidal PbSe Quantum Dot Exciton Emission Coupled into Silicon Photonic Circuits, Optics Express 20, 10453 (2012)
*J103. C. Roy and S. Hughes, Polaron master equation theory of the quantum-dot Mollow triplet in a semiconductor cavity-QED system, Phys Rev B 85, 115309 (2012)
*J102 C. Van Vlack, P. T. Kristensen, and S. Hughes, Spontaneous Emission Spectra and Quantum Light-Matter Interactions from a Strongly-Coupled Quantum Dot Metal-Nanoparticle System, Phys. Rev. B 85, 0765303 (2012)
*J101. S. Hughes and C. Roy, Nonlinear photon transport in a semiconductor waveguide-cavity system containing a single quantum dot: Anharmonic cavity-QED regime, Phys. Rev. B 85, 035315 (2012)
*J100. C. Roy and S. Hughes, Influence of electron-acoustic phonon scattering on intensity power broadening in a coherently driven quantum-dot cavity system, e-print: arXiv:1109.6530, Phys. Rev. X 1, 021009 (2011)
*J99. S. Hughes and H. J. Carmichael, Stationary inversion of a two level system coupled to an off-resonant cavity with strong dissipation, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 193601 (2011)
*J98. Benjamin Zaks, Dominik Stehr, Tuan-Anh Truong, Pierre M. Petroff, Stephen Hughes, Mark S. Sherwin, THz driven quantum wells: Coulomb interactions and Stark shifts in the ultrastrong coupling regime, New J. of Phys 13, 083009 (2011).
*J97. C. Roy and S. Hughes, Phonon-dressed Mollow triplet in the regime of cavity-QED: Excitation-induced dephasing and nonperturbative cavity feeding effects, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 247403 (2011).
*J96. C. Van Vlack, Peijun Yao, and S. Hughes, Optical forces between coupled plasmonic nanoparticles near metal surfaces and negative index material waveguides, Phys. Rev. B 83, 245404 (2011)
*J95. P. K. Pathak and S. Hughes, Coherent generation of time-bin entangled photon pairs using the biexciton cascade and cavity-assisted piecewise adiabatic passage Phys. Rev. B 83, 245301 (2011)
*J94. S. Hughes, P. Yao, F. Milde, A. Knorr, D. Dalacu, K. Mnaymneh, V. Sazonova, P. J. Poole, G. C. Aers, J. Lapointe, R. Cheriton, and R. L. Williams, Influence of electron-acoustic phonon scattering on off-resonant cavity feeding within a strongly coupled quantum-dot cavity system, Phys. Rev. B 83, 165313 (2011)
*J93. P. T. Kristensen, J. Mork, P. Lodahl, and S. Hughes, Decay dynamics of radiatively coupled quantum dots in photonic crystal slabs, Phys. Rev. B 83 075305 (2011)
*J92. S. Reitzenstein, C. Bockler, A. Loffler, S. Hofling, L. Worschech, A. Forchel, P. Yao, and S. Hughes, Polarization-dependent strong coupling in elliptical high-Q micropillar cavities, Phys. Rev. B 82, 235313 (2010).
*J91. M. Patterson and S. Hughes, Theory of disorder-induced multiple scattering and light localization in slow-light photonic crystal waveguides, Journal of Optics, Special Issue on Slow Light, J. Opt. 12, 104013 (2010)
*J90. P. K. Pathak and S. Hughes, Coherently-triggered single photons from a quantum-dot cavity system, Phys. Rev. B 82, 045308 (2010)
*J89. M. Patterson and S. Hughes, Interplay between disorder-induced scattering and local field effects in photonic crystal waveguides, Published in Phys. Rev. B 81 245321 (2010).
*J88. P. Yao, V.S.C. Manga Rao, and S. Hughes, On-chip single photon sources using planar photonic crystals and single quantum dots, Laser and Photonics Reviews 4, 499 (2010).
J87. C. Kistner, K. Morgener, S. Reitzenstein, C. Schneider, S. Hofling, L. Worschech, A. Forchel, P. Yao, and S. Hughes, Strong coupling in a quantum dot micropillar system under electrical current injection, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 221102 (2010).
J86. E. Illes and S. Hughes, Photon antibunching in strongly coupled exciton–semiconductor cavity systems: Role of off-resonant coupling to multiple excitons, Phys. Rev. B. (Rapid Communucations), 81, 121310(R) (2010).
J85. Peijun Yao, P. K. Pathak, E. Illes, S. Hughes, S. Munch, S. Reitzenstein, P. Franeck, A. Loffer, T. Heindel, S. Hofling, L. Worschech, and A. Forchel , Nonlinear photoluminescence spectra from a quantum-dot–cavity system: Interplay of pump-induced stimulated emission and anharmonic cavity QED, Phys. Rev B., 81, 033309 (2010).
J84. T. Tawara, H. Kamada, T. Tanabe, T. Sogawa, H. Okamoto, P. Yao, P. K. Pathak, and S. Hughes, Cavity-QED assisted attraction between a cavity mode and an exciton mode in a planar photonic-crystal cavity, Published in Optics Express 18, 2719 (2010).
J83. P. Yao, C. Van Vlack, A. Reza, M. Patterson, M.M. Dignam, and S. Hughes, Ultrahigh Purcell factors and Lamb shifts in slow light metamaterial waveguides, Phys. Rev. B 80, 195106 (2009) — see also 0908.2774v1
J82. M. Patterson, S. Hughes, S. Schulz, D. M. Beggs, T. P. White, L. O.Faolain, and T. F. Krauss, Disorder-induced incoherent scattering losses in photonic crystal waveguides: Bloch mode reshaping, multiple scattering, and breakdown of the Beer-Lambert law, Phys. Rev. B 80, 195305 (2009).
J81. P. K. Pathak and S. Hughes, Cavity-assisted fast generation of entangled photon pairs through the biexciton-exciton cascade, Phys Rev B 80, 155525 (2009).
J80. P. Yao and S. Hughes, Controlled cavity-QED and single photon emission using a photonic crystal waveguide-cavity system, Phys. Rev. B 80, 165128 (2009).
J79. M. Patterson, S. Hughes, D. Dalacu, and R.L. Williams, Broadband Purcell factor enhancements in photonic-crystal ridge waveguides, Phys. Rev. B 80, 125307 (2009).
J78. P. K. Pathak and S. Hughes, Comment on “Entanglement on demand through time reordering”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 048901 (2009).
J77. M. Patterson, S. Hughes, S. Combie, N.-V. Quynh Tran, A. De Rossi, R. Gabet and Y. Jaouen, Disorder-induced coherent scattering in slow-light photonic crystal waveguides, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 253903 (2009) [arXiv:0906.0464v1]
J76. Yao, P.; Pathak, P.; Mango Rao, V. S. C.; Hughes, Theory and design of chip-based quantum light sources using planar photonic crystals, SPIE, Vol. 7211, 721108B (2009).
J75. P. Yao and S. Hughes, Macroscopic entanglement and violation of Bell’s inequalities between two spatially separated quantum-dot excitons in a planar photonic crystal system, Optics Express 17, 11505 (2009).
J74. P. K. Pathak and S. Hughes, Generation of entangled-photon pairs from a single quantum dot embedded in a planar photonic crystal cavity, Phys. Rev. B, 79, 205416, (2009) [ arXiv:0812.2474]
J73. T. Tawara, H. Kamada, S. Hughes, H. Okamoto, M. Notomi, and T. Sogawa, Cavity mode emission in weakly coupled quantum dot – cavity systems, Optics Express 17, 6643 (2009).
J72. L. Ramunno and S. Hughes, Disorder-induced resonance shifts in high-index-contrast photonic crystal cavities, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Communications) 79, 161303(R) (2009)
J71. S. Hughes and P. Yao, Theory of quantum light emission from a strongly-coupled single quantum dot photonic-crystal cavity system, Optics Express 17, 3322 (2009).
J70. A. Reza, M.M. Dignam, and S. Hughes, Can light be stopped in realistic metamaterials?, Nature (Communication Arising), 23, 10 (2008)
J69. D.P. Fussell, S. Hughes, and M.M. Dignam, Influence of fabrication disorder on the optical properties of coupled-cavity photonic crystal waveguides, Phys. Rev. B 78, 144201(2008)
J68. F. Milde, A. Knorr, and S. Hughes, Role of electron-phonon scattering on the vacuum Rabi splitting of a single-quantum dot and a photonic-crystal-nanocavity, Phys. Rev. B 78, 035330 (2008).
J67. V.S.C. Manga Rao and S. Hughes, Numerical study of exact Purcell factors in finite-size planar photonic crystal waveguides, Opt. Lett., 33, 1587 (2008).
J66. V.S.C. Manga Rao and S. Hughes, Single quantum dot spontaneous emission in a finite-size photonic crystal waveguide: Proposal for an efficient ”on chip” single photon gun, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 193901 (2007)
J65. S. Hughes, Coupled cavity QED using planar photonic crystals, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 083606 (2007)
J64. C. Van Vlack and S. Hughes, Carrier-envelope-offset phase control of ultrafast optical rectification in resonantly excited semiconductors, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 167404 (2007)
J63. V.S.C. Manga Rao and S. Hughes, Single quantum-dot Purcell factor and beta factor in a photonic crystal waveguide, Phys. Rev. B 75, 205437 (2007)
J62. C. Van Vlack and S. Hughes, Third-harmonic generation in disguise of second-harmonic generation revisited: Role of carrier-envelope phase and dielectric mismatch, Opt. Lett. 32, 187 (2007)
J61. V.S.C. Manga Rao and S. Hughes, Single quantum dots for slow and fast light control in a planar photonic crystal, Opt. Lett. 32, 304 (2007)
J60. S. Hughes, H. Gotoh and H. Kamada, Classical and quantum optical correlation effects between single quantum dots: The role of the hopping photon, Phys. Rev. B 74, 115334 (2006)
J59. H. Gotoh, H. Sanada, H. Kamada, H. Nakano, S. Hughes, H. Ando, and J. Temmyo, Detecting coupled excitons with microphotoluminescence techniques in bilayer quantum dots, Phys. Rev. B 74, 115322 (2006)
J58. E. Kuramochi, S. Hughes, A. Shinya, and M. Notomi, Si-based photonic crystal componentsi: Relationshop between performance and structural disorder, NTT Technical Review 3, 69 (2005)
J57. E. Kuramochi, M. Notomi, S. Hughes, A. Shinya, T. Watanabe, L. Ramunno, Disorder-induced scattering loss of line-defect waveguides in photonic crystal slabs, Phys. Rev. B. 72, 161318(R), (2005)
J56. S. Hughes, Modified spontaneous emission and qubit entanglement from dipole-coupled quantum dots in a photonic crystal nanocavity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 227402 (2005)
J55. S. Hughes, Quantum emission dynamics from a single quantum dot in a planar photonic crystal nanocavity, Opt. Lett. 30, 1393 (2005)
J54. S. Hughes, L. Ramunno, Jeff. F. Young, J. E. Sipe, Extrinsic optical scattering loss in photonic crystal waveguides: Role of fabrication disorder and photon group velocity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 033903 (2005)
J53. S. Hughes and H. Kamada, Single-quantum-dot strong coupling in a semiconductor photonic crystal nanocavity side coupled to a waveguide, Phys. Rev. B 70, 195313 (2004)
J52. S. Hughes, Enhanced single-photon emission from quantum dots in photonic crystal waveguides and nanocavities, Opt. Lett. 29, 2659 (2004)
J51. S. Hughes, High-field wave packets in semiconductor quantum wells: Real-space finite-difference time-domain formalism, Phys. Rev. B 69, 205308 (2004)
J50. L. Ramunno, S. Hughes, J. F. Young, J. E. Sipe, Extrinsic optical scattering loss in photonic crystal waveguides due to fabrication disorder and surface roughness, SPIE Vol. 5579, 289 (2004).
Older Publications (before 2004): [Note: Prof. Hughes joined two exciting nanophotonics start-up companies, Galian Photonics Inc, and Lumerical Solutions Inc, in 2001-2003. Both of these were a fantastic experience, and Lumerical has now emerged at one of the top optical software companies in the world]
J49. S. Hughes, M. Tani, K. Sakai, Vector analysis of terahertz transients generated by photoconductive antennas in near- and far-field regimes, Journal of Applied Physics 93, 4880 (2003)
J48. A. Knorr, S. Hughes, Microscopic theory of ultrashort pulse compression and break-up in a semiconductor optical amplifier, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 13, 782 (2001)
J47. S. Hughes, P. Borri, A. Knorr, F. Romstad, J.M. Hvam, Ultrashort pulse-propagation effects in a semiconductor optical amplifier: Microscopic theory and experiment, IEEE J. of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronic 7, 694 (2001)
J46. S. Hughes, Nonperturbative terahertz-field interactions in semiconductor quantum wires, Phys Rev B 63, 153308 (2001)
J45. D. S. Citrin and S. Hughes, Terahertz-sideband generation in a semiconductor optical amplifier, Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, 1805 (2001)
J44. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Broadband terahertz emission through exciton trapping in a semiconductor quantum well, Opt. Lett. 26, 1 (2001)
J43. S. Hughes, Subfemtosecond soft-x-ray generation from a two-level atom: Extreme carrier-wave Rabi flopping Phys. Rev. A 62, 055401 (2000)
J42. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Electron hole scattering in a highly excited semiconductor quantum well amplifier with terahertz-field-drifted carrier distributions: applications to all-optical switching, Solid State Communications 114, 423 (2000)
J41. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Dynamic Franz-Keldysh effect: perturbative to nonperturbative regime, Opt. Lett. 25, 493 (2000)
J40. D. S. Citrin and S. Hughes, Franz-Keldysh effect on Landau levels and magnetoexcitons in quantum wells, Phys. Rev. B 61, R5105 (2000)
J39. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Interaction of terahertz transients and broadband optical pulses in quantum wells, Journal of the Optical Society of America B 17, 128 (2000)
J38. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Excitons in strong terahertz fields: Optical properties and wavepacket dynamics, Physica Status Solidi B 221, 253 (2000)
J37. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, High-Field Franz-Keldysh Effect and Exciton Ionization in Semiconductor Quantum Wires, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 4228 (2000)
J36. D. S. Citrin and S. Hughes, Franz-Keldysh effect on Landau levels and magnetoexcitons in quantum wells, Phys. Rev. B 61, R5105 (2000)
J35. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Dynamic Franz Keldysh effect on magnetoexcitons in quantum wells: beyond perturbation theory, Solid State Communications 113, 11 (1999)
J34. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Creation of highly anisotropic wave packets in quantum wells: Dynamical Franz-Keldysh, effect in the optical and terahertz regimes, Phys. Rev. B 59, R5288 (1999)
J33. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Tunability in the terahertz regime: Charge-carrier wavepacket manipulation in quantum wells, Applied Optics 38, 7153 (1999)
J32. D. S. Citrin and S. Hughes, Circularly polarized dynamic Franz-Keldysh effect, Phys Rev B 60, 13272 (1999)
J31. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Tunable terahertz emission through multiple Rabi flopping in a dc-biased quantum well: a new strategy, Optics Letters 24, 1242 (1999)
J30. S. Hughes and D. S. Citrin, Dynamic Franz-Keldysh effect: excitonic versus free-carrier excitation schemes, Optics Letters 24, 1068 (1999)
J29. C.Z. Ning, S. Hughes, D.S. Citrin, Ultrafast modulation of semiconductor lasers through a terahertz field, Applied Physics Letters 75, 442 (1999)
J28. S. Hughes, DC Citrin, Two-pulse nondegenerate excitation of electron-hole wave packets-in quantum wells: tunable terahertz emission, Optics Letters 24, 560 (1999)
J27. S. Hughes, W. Harshawardhan, D.S. Citrin, Excitonic-state trapping and quasiadiabatic population transfer in a two-band semiconductor Physical Review B 60, 15523 (1999)
J26. S. Hughes, Breakdown of the Area Theorem: Carrier-Wave Rabi Flopping of Femtosecond Optical Pulses, Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3363 (1998)
J25. S. Hughes, Carrier-carrier interaction and ultrashort pulse propagation in a highly excited semiconductor laser amplifier beyond the rate equation limit, Phys. Rev. A 58, 2567 (1998)
J24. S. Hughes, D.S. Citrin, Terahertz pulse-induced switching of a quantum-well optical amplifier, Applied Physics Letters 73, 3872 (1998)
J23. S. Hughes, D.S. Citrin, Ultrafast heating and switching of a semiconductor optical amplifier using half-cycle terahertz pulses Phys Rev B 58, R15969 (1998)
J22. S. Hughes, Polarization decay in ultrafast collinear nondegenerate four-wave mixing in a semiconductor amplifier, Optics Letters 23, 948 (1998)
J21. A. Schulzgen, N. Peyghambarian, S. Hughes, Doppler-shifted self-reflection from a semiconductor, Physica Status Solidi B 206, 125 (1998)
J20. S. Hughes, G. Spruce, B.S. Wherrett, and T. Kobayashi, Comparison between the optical limiting behavior of chloroaluminum phthalocyanine and a cyanine dye, J. Appl. Phys. 81, 5905 (1997)
J19. S. Hughes, G. Spruce, J. M. Burzler, R. Rangel-Rojo, and B. S. Wherrett, Theoretical analysis of the picosecond, induced absorption exhibited by chloroaluminum phthalocyanine, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, 400 (1997)
J18. S. Hughes, B. S. Wherrett, and G. Spruce, Theory and analysis of excitation-probe studies of induced-absorption three-level molecular systems, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, 526 (1997)
J17. S. Hughes, A. Knorr, and S. W. Koch, Interplay of optical dephasing and pulse propagation in semiconductors, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, 754 (1997)
J16. W. W. Chow, A. Knorr, S. Hughes, A. Girndt, and S. W. Kochi, Carrier correlation effects in a quantum-well semiconductor laser medium, IEEE J. of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 3, 136 (1997)
J15. A.P. Yang, S. Hughes, M. Kuroda, M. Shiraishi, T. Kobayashi, Stationary and time-resolved spectra of 2,2 ‘: 5 ‘,2 ”-terthiophene, Chemical Physics Letters 280, 475 (1997)
J14. S. Hughes, JM Burzler, T Kobayashi, Modeling of picosecond-pulse propagation for optical limiting applications in the visible spectrum, J Opt Soc Am B 14, 2925 (1997)
J13. S. Hughes, Non-Markovian memory effects in GaN lasers, Solid State Communications 104, 107 (1997).
J12. S. Hughes, T Kobayashi, Ultrafast carrier-carrier scattering in wide-gap GaN semiconductor laser devices, Semiconductor Science and Technology 12, 733 (1997)
J11. S. Hughes, J.M. Burzler, Theory of Z-scan measurements using Gaussian-Bessel beams, Phys Rev A 56, R1103 (1997)
J10. S. Hughes and B.S. Wherrett, Multilevel rate-equation analysis to explain the recent observations of limitations to optical limiting dyes, Phys. Rev. A 54, 3546 (1996)
J9. S. Hughes, A novel computational technique for propagating picosecond, intense laser pulses through a multi-level system, Optics Communications 132, 236 (1996)
J8. S. Hughes, A. Knorr, and S. W. Koch, Femtosecond pulse breakup in a semiconductor amplifier, Opt. Lett. 21, 1052 (1996)
J7. S Hughes, A. Knorr , S.W. Koch, R. Binder, R. Indik, J.V. Moloney, The influence of electron-hole-scattering on the gain spectra of highly excited semiconductors, Solid. State. Commun. 100, 555, (1996)
J6. A. Knorr, S Hughes, TK Stroucken, SW Koch, Theory of ultrafast spatio-temporal dynamics in semiconductor heterostructures, Chemical Physics 210, 27 (1996)
J5. R.A. Indik, R. Binder, M. Mlejnek, J.V. Moloney, S. Hughes, A. Knorr, S.W. Koch, Role of plasma cooling, heating, and memory effects in subpicosecond pulse propagation in semiconductor amplifiers, Phys Rev A 53, 3620 (1996)
J4. S. Hughes, J. M. Burzler, G. Spruce, and B. S. Wherrett, Fast Fourier transform techniques for efficient simulation of Z-scan measurements, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 12, 1888 (1995).
J3. J.M. Burzler, S. Hughes, B.S. Wherrett, Split-step fourier methods applied to model nonlinear refractive effects in optically thick media, Applied Physics B Laser and Optics 62, 389 (1995).
J2. S. Hughes, C.M. Ciesla, B.N. Murdin, C.R. Pidgeon, D.A. Jaroszynski, R. Prazeres, Third-order nonlinearities and coherent transient grating effects of narrow-gap semiconductors in the midinfrared, Journal of Applied Physics 78, 3371 (1995).
J1. S. Hughes, G. Spruce, B. S. Wherrett, K. R. Welford, and A. D. Lloyd, The saturation limit to picosecond, induced absorption in dyes, Opt. Commun. 100, 113 (1993).